Senior EMC Storage Specialist Vacancy
SUMMARY AND PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
The Senior EMC Storage Specialist is responsible for the delivery of support, operations and maintenance services on enterprise level DELL EMC storage systems. This position is a stakeholder facing role, and requires that the Senior EMC Storage Specialist establish and manage expectations within the support base and drive service excellence to achieve those expectations with a high standard. The Senior EMC Storage Specialist tasks include performance management comprising services for tracking, measuring, analyzing and reporting system performance to meet agreed upon service levels.
SCOPE OF WORK: DELIVERABLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
• Ownership of operational responsibility for storage provisioning and availability at the Customer site(s) with the Customer Storage Manager.
• Provisioning storage based on standardized procedures details in the Operations Run Book and meeting Customer agreed upon standards.
• Configuration and layout of storage infrastructure.
• Performing necessary storage infrastructure maintenance in accordance with DELL EMC and Customer change management policies
• Performing necessary data migration as required and defined by EMC’s migration practices
• Providing analysis of the environment and best practice knowledge transfer
• Generating regular operations reports using supplied tools
• Recommending changes to procedures which result in operational optimization and improved SLAs.
• Participating in Root Cause Analysis reviews as applicable
• Support the in-scope Storage system, system management software and operating system utilities (DELL EMC Management specific), including upgrades (such as release upgrades)
• Manage the Storage system configuration including initial Storage configuration, modifying configuration files, system configuration documentation and access to system configuration files.
• Recommend Storage system updates and configuration modification to customer point of contact as required.
• Maintain tools for remote management and alert monitoring.
• Maintain operational support procedures.
• Maintain the hardware and software configuration
• Evaluate planned changes to the Storage environment and advise of any requirements to support such changes.
• Enable passwords for Storage Management to use to connect with other systems on the network.
• Adhere to customer standard security processes and procedures.
• Synchronize security information among Storage Sub-Systems.
• Create modify system login/logon scripts.
• Assign local system accounts, workgroup etc.
• Provide health check and trending reports that include CPU, RAM, Cache Disk I/O & throughput. (Storage systems that have gone above defined set thresholds)
• Provide input into a standard operational procedure for DELL EMC Storage Support best practice.
• Assiting in preparation for host based migration tasks.
• Responsibility for preparing Storage for any customer projects, if applicable.
Performance and Incident Management
• Manage queues for incidents, problems, changes and other service requests pertaining to performance.
• Manage thresholds and alerts for usage of IT resources
• Analyze performance service levels breaches, alerts, trends and root causes to restore service.
• Track and tune proactively, performance through trend and exception reporting to avoid possible service level breaches.
• Tune reactively to restore for performance incidents and root causes.
• Provide corrective action to resolve system performance problems and provide recommendations to prevent possible furture incidents.
• Recommend changes agreed upon system performance levels.
• Implement performance changes as approved through the customer’s formal change management processes.
• Define performance related metrics and data collecting, summarization, and Storage requirements.
• Collect, summarize and store performance data (Standard Performance Data Management).
• Define performance alert thresholds to support agreed upon service levels.
• Provide standard performance reporting.
• Provide Ad Hoc performance reporting for analysis of incidents to restore service
1. Qualifications and Experience Requirements
• Matric/Grade 12 (Essential)
• IT Diploma (Beneficial)
• Six years’ minimum experience on relevant storage technology within the ICT industry. (Essential)
• Proven experience and certification in production environments consisting of the below mentioned technologies are required: (Essential)
4. Xtreme I/O
5. VIPR SRM
2. Personal Attributes and Skills Required
• Analytical mind
• Ability to think and interact logically
• A natural curiosity
• The ability to work in a team and to be proactive around self-learning
• The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Willingness to assist with additional tasks given to the team
• Excellent organisational skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Good judgment skills
• Able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
• Good communication skills (both written and verbal) and presentation Skills
• Strong client relations and personal networking skills.
• Willingness to support and mentor junior staff
• Behavioral traits such as attitude, motivation and time management
• Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
• Be prepared to perform standby duties and work irregular hours if required
• Demonstrable depth of understanding in computing technologies including operating systems, application based systems, and networking
• Familiarity with technical concepts coupled with the ability to communicate complex technical information
• Own vehicle and valid drivers license
(NB: Should you not hear from us within 2 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful)
Job Type: Contract
Company Name: Stortech
Company Location: Cape Town
Application contact details
Application Closing Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018
Remuneration: Not Specified
Send CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org