National Medical Officer-Paediatrician - Kasulu
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Working under the overall supervision of Chief Medical Officer and the direct
supervision of the Migration Health Officer, the incumbent will carry out the following
duties and responsibilities:
1. Perform migration health assessments (medical exams) and complete related
medical documentation of migrants referred for migration health assessment
in accordance with the resettlement countries’ technical instructions and the
IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines.
2. Provide technical supervision and monitoring of the management of pediatric
cases by IOM health personnel to ensure that the following activities are
performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement
countries such as: medical case registration, migration health assessments,
medical forms transmission, medical treatment and follow-up programs, data
processing and management, pre-embarkation medical examination and
3. To advise on proper history taking, examination of children, investigations and
reporting of pediatric cases refered by colleagues.
4. Provide pediatric specialist consultation
5. Review all pedriatric medical done by colleagues.
6. Refer patients to other specialists for treatment as maybe required.
7. Administer treatment and immunizations as per the receiving countries’
8. Perform pre-departure and pre-embarkation medical checks on all refugee
migrants departing under IOM auspices, making sure they are fit to travel.
9. Ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting of all activities on the predeparture
(examinations, treatment, immunization), as per IOM standards and
as per the country of resettlement requirements.
10. Implement quality control standards and ensures confidentiality of individual
11. Assist in the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the
migration health assessment.
12. Coordinate with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and
laboratories, as needed.
13. Inform and consult with the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief of Mission of
IOM Tanzania on migration health issues and proposes corrective and
14. Assist in the preparation, and implementation of research activities related to
the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
15. Provide healthcare advice to IOM staff in the sub-office.
16. Undertake duty travel and medical escorting activities, be ready for relocation
of duty station to remote areas or refuge camps if needed.
17. Perform any other duties that may be required from time to time.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
• Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
• Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
• Contributes to colleagues’ learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
• Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area Communication
• Actively shares relevant information
• Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
• Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the
Creativity and Initiative
• Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
• Persuades others to consider new ideas
• Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
• Convinces others to share resources
• Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
• Presents goals as shared interests
• Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
• Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
• Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair,
accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
• Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
• Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
• Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
• Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
• Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
• Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
• Learns about developments in available technology
• Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
• Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs Technical
• Effectively applies knowledge of migration health issues within the organizational context.
• Correctly frames migration health issues within their regional, global and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Tanzania citizen.
2. Degree in Medicine – MBChB.
3. 3 years specialist training in paediatrics (MD)
4. Registered with the Tanzania Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
5. Minimum of 2 years continuous professional working experience preferably with
experience in migration health, immigration medical assessments, epidemiology
and/or international public health.
6. Health sector experience in Africa.
7. Training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an
Fluent in written and spoken English and Kiswahili language’s.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter
indicating Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to
Or send applications to the address below;
International Organization for Migration Mission in the United Republic of Tanzania
Slipway Road, off Chole Road, Plot # 1365 Msasani. PO Box 9270 Dar es Salaam,
Kindly note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
A client seeks to hire a qualified candidate for the position of a National Medical Officer-Paediatrician